Andrew THOMPSON – Old Powburn Shop owner
Andrew THOMPSON was the original “grocer and provision dealer” who opened “large and commodious premises” at Powburn on 6 March 1883: the original ‘Old Powburn Shop’ . This was run by various members of the Thompson family as a grocer shop until 1911 when it was also being used as a Post Office. It then appears to have run as a Post Office until at least 1939.
Andrew THOMPSON was the second of nine children born to Samuel Thompson (B. 11 Mar 1810) and Elizabeth Forster (B. 8 Mar 1812). Born in Eglingham on 1 May 1833, he married Elizabeth SCOTT on 1 Dec 1926.
But did you know that local resident Jean Givens is the great granddaughter of Andrew Thompson?
We’ve now been able to create a family tree for Jean that shows how she is linked through her father’s side of the family to the original “wholesale rabbit and game dealer” from his premises in Powburn .SEE THE THOMPSON FAMILY TREE
- Alnwick Mercury, “Announcement,” The Alnwick Mercury and North Northumberland Weekly Advertiser, 3 March 1883.
- Powburn Shop Receipt from Jean Givens Personal Collection (2019).