We have today (24 March 2020) received the following notice from the Chair of Hedgeley Parish Council.
Powburn & Glanton Home Guard
Thanks to Jean Givens of Brandon, a new photo has been added to the Breamish Valley Photographic Collection – a photograph of 30 soldiers in the local Home Guard during World War II.
This article provides a plausible account of some of the history surrounding the former ‘Powburn Shop’ in Powburn, Northumberland UK from 1841-1939. It is based on limited data and, as with any other research, it would need further investigations to confirm or refute the tentative hypotheses put forward. To this end, suggestions for further research are provided. Nevertheless, it is hoped that the reasoned narrative will be of interest to anyone fascinated by local history and the village of Powburn within the Breamish Valley.
High Powburn vintage photo added
Courtesy of Teresa Power of High Powburn, we’ve added a copy of a 1909 black and white vintage photo to the Breamish Valley Photographic Collection.
The Powburn Show Schedule 2019 is now available. You can either pick up your own hard copy from Hedgeley Services or read/download a copy from the Powburn Show website [just click the button at the bottom of the Powburn Show homepage].
Powburn Show & Sheepdog Trials 2017
Saturday 5 August 2017
A great day out for all the family!
Sheepdog Trials: Saturday 15 July 2017
So much to enjoy, including…
- Archery Display
- Terrier Racing
- Pony Sports & Jumoing
- Hill Race
- Terrier Show
By John Taylor
Hedgeley Parish lies at the extreme southern edge of the great prehistoric Glendale lake. As the land forms changed and natural drainage took place, human life began to shape the landscape as we know it.
Powburn village probably owes its existence to its strategic position near a river crossing (usually a ford) which, in time, would be replaced by a bridge of sorts. The Roman Army certainly used it for a military road which was part of the network north of the Great Wall. The road began in this part of the world at Rochester, crossing through Alndale to the Bridge of Aln. It was excavated on farm land at Rothill and shown to cross east of Glanton, coming down the high Powburn road and, following that part of the current A697, to Percy’s Cross along the route of the Devil’s Causeway to Hortons, Lowick and Berwick.