Breamish Valley logo linking to Home Page

Rothbury Road Repairs Approved

Correspondence received

Dear Residents,

It gives me great pleasure to announce that I received notification from the Department for Transport this morning informing me that we have been successful in our request for up to £5 million to carry out repair works on the Cragend Landslip (B6344 road)

I would firstly like to thank the engineering team at County Hall who by all accounts submitted a fantastic bid to the ‘pinch point’ fund which included information from local residents, schools and businesses.

Our partners at Northumberland National Park also contributed significantly with much of the required tourism information that the application required being provided by them.

Finally I must say a massive thank you to the Chief Secretary to the Treasury; Danny Alexander MP and our own MP Sir Alan Beith – without their intervention we would not have been able to even apply to the pinch point fund to begin with.

Drilling is still taking place on the slip the results of which will help form the engineer’s decision as to the best solution in dealing with the problems.

The ‘Pinch Point’ fund will only fund up to a maximum of 70% of the costs with the Local Authority expected to meet the remaining 30% however early results are indicating it may well not be the worst case scenario as we had been planning for.

I will be lobbying the council over the coming weeks for the remaining 30% of the funds but early indications seem positive.

Once again, thank you all for your patience in dealing with this problem – we will get there in the end!

Kind regards

Steven Bridgett

Cllr Steven Bridgett

County Councillor for the

Rothbury Division

Chairman of the Northern Area Committee

Contact Us

Contact the Breamish Valley website

Contact Us