Breamish Valley logo linking to Home Page

Eglingham War Memorial

Location of Eglingham War Memorial

Address: The Village Hall, Eglingham, Northumberland NE66 2TX England

GPS: 55°28’10” N 1°49’49” W

Details

The Eglingham War Memorial has a wheel-head cross of Celtic design atop a square pedestal that stands on a plinth. The plinth is supported on a two-step square base. The structure is surrounded by wrought iron railings and a yew hedge.

Eglingham War Memorial (looking East)

Eglingham War Memorial

The Eglingham War Memorial was erected in 1921 as a WWI memorial to 23 servicemen (three WWII names were added later). It was unveiled on 27 March 1921 by Mrs G. Sutton-Jones (mother of Cecil Gwyn Sutton-Jones).

Inscription

Eglingham War Memorial inscription

Inscription (front face of pedestal)

Inscription reads: /TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ IN HONOUR OF THE MEN/ OF THIS PARISH WHO FOUGHT/ AND IN EVER/ GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE/ OF THOSE WHO FELL/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918./

Commemorations

Eglingham War Memorial plinth 1

Front face of plinth, naming 23 WWI servicemen

Of the 23 WWI servicemen listed, 14 now appear on the Breamish Valley War Memorial, Powburn, Northumberland UK:

Of the three WWII service personnel listed, one now appears on the Breamish Valley War Memorial, Powburn, Northumberland UK:

Further information

Historic England: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1436892 Accessed 07 Oct 2018.

North East War Memorials Project: http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=7092 Accessed 07 Oct 2018.

War Memorials Online: https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/253814 Accessed 07 Oct 2018.

War Memorials Register: https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/33671 Accessed 07 Oct 2018.

[Published: 08 October 2018]

Contact Breamish Valley

Contact the Breamish Valley website

Contact Us