Northern standing stones
Prehistoric standing stones are large upright stones that were placed in the ground by humans, typically between 4000 BCE and 1200 BCE. They are often arranged in circles or rows, and sometimes have burial chambers or cairns nearby. Some of the most famous standing stones are found in the UK, such as Stonehenge, Avebury, and the Ring of Brodgar. Closer to home, however, are the standing stones at Duddo, just north of Etal in north Northumberland [GPS: 55°41’11.838″ N 2°6’43.188″ W].
The Duddo standing stones in Northumberland are a group of five ancient megaliths that date back to the Early Bronze Age, about 4000 years ago. They are located on a hilltop near the village of Duddo and offer panoramic views of the Cheviot and Lammermuir Hills. They are also known as the Singing Stones, or The Women. The original number of stones was probably seven, but two have been lost over time. The purpose and meaning of the stone circle is unknown, but some speculate that it was a burial site, a sacred place, or a calendar aligned with the winter solstice.
The stones are currently owned by English Heritage and can be visited by following a permissive path across a farm field:
The stones are made of local sandstone and have been weathered into distinctive shapes by the elements: